Tuesday 24 December 2013

Kampung Guru – An Overview In the 50s

My thoughts of Kampung Guru is still fresh in my mind.  I can’t help talking about Kg Guru because it has direct links to Anglo Chinese School as well as St Anthony and Convent in Teluk Anson.  Most of the teachers of ACS live in Kg Guru.  Their children grew up there. One way or the other, our childhood in Kg Guru did shaped our lives.

Kampung Guru in the early 50s

Kampung Guru is situated about 3 miles away from Teluk Anson town, along Changkat Jong Road.  Most noticeable landmark while travelling on a bus from town, was the Hup Soon Bus Depot on the left which use to be my marker for me to be ready to ring the bus bell, so that my 10 cents bus trip would stop right in front of the entrance of Kg. Guru.  From the rattling sliding window of the bus I use to enjoy watching the hundreds of pigeons, that would fly off from their pigeon shed built on a tall wooden pole.  It was simply fascinating to see them flutter their wings for a short flight.  I remember how Dad use to say about the birds there. He would say "Ornithological Species of Identical plumage tend to congregate in closer proximity" with a sneer.  I think he just wanted to show off his command of the English language. He could have just said “Birds of the same feathers flock together!”  Anyway, back then, Kg Guru was basically like that. It was multiracial community living harmoniously. This was what it was like in the 50s. It was the best of times free from any creative and innovative politician.

Impressively, Kg. Guru was the first Multi-racial Cooperative housing project in Malaya!  The idea was mooted by Mr William Edward Perera, the first principal of ACS just after the war.  He together with some teachers and ex teachers of various schools in Teluk Anson, formed the cooperative in 1952.  The Coop bought a piece of rubber plantation and built Kg. Guru.  That was how it all began.

In 1953, we moved from our bookshop house in Anson Road which our family had lived since dad established his bookshop in 1925, to our banglow at No 9, Kg Guru. It was a start of our new life living in a kampong of brick bungalows with its unique round windows in a spatial landscape of greenery without fences.

I was 3 then, and we had just celebrated the coronation of Queen Elizabeth where the whole town was beautifully decorated with the Union Jacks, buntings, flags of red white and blue.  There were “God Save the Queen” everywhere. No wonder she is well saved. It must be the prayers of her subjects throughout her empire where the sun never set.

My neighbor on my right was Mr Leow Say Ying, my Oral English teacher when I was in Form 1 (His children Leow Shing Onn, Quee Onn, Chee Onn, Kam Leng and a few more I can’t remember).  On my left was the Lim family ( Lim Chong Eng, Lim Chong Huat and Molly Lim).

Talking of Mr Leow, I can never forget the day how Mercury, Leow Shing Onn’s dog bit my ear.  I was about 4 then. I must have yelled so loud and made the dog run for it’s life.  Anyway, I think the whole neighborhood rushed me to hospital. That was my first anti tetanus shot and it was more painful than the dog bite!

16 comments:

  1. This was written by Hashim Kamal,my neighbour at 9, Kampong Guru. We lived at number10, Kampong Guru. His father was also a teacher in ACS Primary, Telok Ansalso also owner of Samad Book Shop along Anson Road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Samad Shop. We bought exercise books from there. Othman Aki was his salesman. Later he joined my Dept as my Asst. Died few years ago. Daughter is high court Judge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Lee yewkim, ACS boy. Staying at no14, X Padman house.
    Like to hear more fm present n
    Previous residents...my Pon no..0165278008..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are Yew Kim, ex BB BAND and also the famous boat builder.

      Delete
  4. Hi Eddie here ... 15 Kg Guru.
    Used to be there every year until Covid-19 arrived

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew, Ramu,
    Agree, it’s well written !

    Our primary school teacher, Mr SM Muthu stayed 2 houses away from Alvin’s house.

    His sons Edward (our junior) & Leslie Muthu (senior) were studying in our school.

    We had Mr Vengadasalam, headmaster of ACS was in the corner house along the same road.

    Mr Skadiang was his next door neighbour. Children studied in ACS - George Skadiang, Leslie, Stanley, Gloria. The first two joined MAS.

    Dr Ng Kam Poh, ex MP stayed right behind Alvin’s house. At the end of his house connects Hose Road leading to Raghbir’s house & the famous *Rumah Kuning.*

    We had fond memories of this place as we spent time in Alvin’s tree house. David had a similar one in his compound.

    Not forgetting along the drains, we had fish to catch including fighting fish. We were full of mud and we received nice scolding appearing in the house in soiled clothes.

    Those were the days my friend.
    Naban 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naban, I'm Vijay Mr Venga's youngest son. We were No. 18 and Alvin Yong's neighbour. Alvin was like my mentor, teaching me how to shoot birds with ball bearing in a narrow barrel with a fire cracker at the other end. He would allow me to come into his tree house. The corner house no. 16 was Mr Eric Rhode. He was between Mr Muthu and Mr Martin Yong. My best memories were playing in the club house and playing hockey and Rounders in the field. Happy to keep in touch with anyone in this comments group.

      Delete
  6. A good write up - fond memories of the place - used to be a regular at our late Alvin’s place. Naban’s place was at the entrance to Kpg Guru.
    There was also mention of the Hup Soon Depot where I grew up !
    Andrew Francis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Kg. Guru..I used to cycle from Pekan Baru (Padang Tembak) to Kg.Guru for maths tution (LCE 1972). Have to passby Rumah Kuning (cannot forget). After tution go to Vinayar Temple (next to Kg.Guru), pray very hard to pass LCE maths. Did pass well, got credit. My sincere gratitude to my tution teacher Mr. Kandavel and Lord Vinayar.
    Used to visit Samad Book Store. The owner, the Cikgu used to help us and he lets us to read books - free lah. We end up buying note books, pencil and eraser only. A lot of memories.
    By K.Visvanathan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi everyone. Devan here from no. 18 kg guru. My grandfather, the late Mr Vengadasalam was hm in acs. Feel free to contact me if you are coming here. Would be nice to hear from you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was years ago in the sixties I used to visit my form teacher(St Anthony) the late Mr Felix Goh and his son Johnny Goh was quite close as he is a year senior than me. I wonder where is Johnny now. Last heard he is in Penang. I can be contacted 0123336399. By the way my name is Than Heok Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there thank you Devan at least our heritage lives on as grandsons of our late grandfather and also fathers from the Vengadasalam clan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi from Johnny Goh of No. 24. Greetings to one and all. After a long life of being every (hahaha) I have finally come back to Perak.I have recently moved (about 8 months back) to Ipoh and had the opportunity of meeting some of our friends. Looking forward to hearing from guys. I am on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/jaygor395/)any do drop me a line there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johnny i knew your grandfather and your father too.

      Delete
  12. Wow, lots of familiar names have surfaced. I was in mumber 10 Kampong Guru and the house still belongs to my sister.
    Edward(Eddieboy) Muthu, Vijay, Devan,Johnny Goh are all familiar names and many i have not seen for some time.
    Hashim Kamal who wrote the above blog now lives and ran a small resort in Kemaman. He has been living there for many years. I visited him there some years back, some 4/5 years back.

    ReplyDelete