Thursday 5 December 2013

I Am My Mom's Birthday Present

My mom, Mary Lee
On the morning of 21st September 1950, Majimeen Abdullah (Mary Lee) gave birth to a 7 months premature baby in a shop-house at 77, Anson Road.  Me, the 6th child in the family. It was on her birthday that I was born. I was her perfect birthday present!

How thrilled my dad, Cikgu Samad must have been.  Probably, that morning he did not open his bookshop (SAMAD’s – the shop that’s different – established in 1925).

I remember mummy use to mention the name of the midwife, Mama Goh also a Straits born lady, who lived in Canal Road, a stone’s throw from our house.  I was then covered in pure butter, “Polar Bear” brand that comes in a round tin can.  Refrigerator did not exist then.  That was what that kept me alive, I suppose.  Butter was used to keep me warm as there was no such thing as an incubator.  I was so tiny and weighed about 3 lbs (pounds). That’s the weight of 3 loaves of local bread!

Mummy had never stop telling me that my hairy characteristics was due the butter treatment I received as a baby. I have been looking all over for the photo taken on the day I was born. I found these instead.

On my 1st Anniversary
 
My 2nd Anniversary

Mummy said I wasn’t able to walk till I was 3 years old. This must be due to my premature status.  Everyday, she would to bring me to the open field in the early hours of the morning to wipe my legs with the fresh morning dew.  This treatment must have made my legs now to be as strong as the kangaroo.

Every Thursday she would read to me my favorite comic "The Eagle". Here was where I met Dan Dare.

On  every 21st September we never miss to wish Happy Birthday to each other. On 21st September 1988 I had the loneliest birthday. She died on 18th June 1988.

1 comment: