Monday 2 December 2013

A Brief History of ACS, Teluk Anson

With only 45 pupils in a wooden shack with thatched attap roof  located at Anson Road (the present primary school), our school came to existence.

The year was 1899 and the name of the school was Goverment Tamil School.  In 1901, Rev. N. Paul introduced the English language and the school was renamed Anglo Tamil School.  In 1905, Rev. W.E. Horley took over the administration of all the Methodist schools.

 A bigger building was built to replace the wooden shack and the school was renamed Anglo Chinese School, Teluk Anson.



The principal in 1914 was Mr Augustine and was replaced by Rev. Jesudason in 1917 and Rev. M.E. Jones in 1918. In 1919, Rev. S.S. Pakianathan became the principal and had transform the school into a “Grant-in-Aid Institution”.  In 1922, students took the Cambridge School Certificate for the first time.  It must have been an exciting year!

In 1924, the old building was demolished and replaced with a double storey building complete with an assembly hall.

Rev. R. Doraisamy became the principal in 1926 and with the assistance of Mr. K.N.O.C.V.  Vellayappa 5 additional classroom was built.

.............to be continued



4 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I grew up going to school to Horley Methodist primary and secondary. Seeing my old school photo gushed up a lot of old memories of my 80s primary school. Wow nice .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Velan. Happy to know that you are happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I became a pupil of the Anglo Chinese School, Teluk Anson in 1940. The principal was Lee Choon Eng. I started school at St Anthony's School. Mr Xavier my teacher punished me for a reason I forget. He told me to hold out my hand and when I did he said, "Turn your hand over", And when I did his cane came down forcibly on my fingers and he said, "Go stand at the back of the class". Standing there I saw a large purple swelling on my third finger. I walked back to my desk, collected my books and as Xavier was shouting, "Did I not tell you to go stand at the back of the class?" I took the ink well on my desk splashed his white suit with the ink. I ran home crying. Father Edmond expelled me and Mr Lee Choon Eng accepted me at the Anglo Chinese School, I spent the happiest days of my school days at the Anglo Chinese School. When I was promoted the next class my teacher Mr Vendegasalam said to me, "San Yin, I was warned about you by the headmaster when you came to my class. But I found in you one of the nicest boys in my class." I remember bursting into tears and Mr Vendergasalam offered me his handkerchief.

    ReplyDelete